Saturday, November 18, 2006

Glenn Beck: Super Bigot

Glenn Beck is evil. He promotes intolerance and bigotry on his show on CNN Headline News. I find myself regularly disgusted by the things he says. I do not watch his show but Media Matters for America gives us updates on Beck's insensitive and stupid statements.

There are many others like Beck including Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, and Ann Coulter, but these people are not employed by CNN, which is supposed to be a news source. It is one thing for the Fox News Propaganda Channel to employ these liars for hire, but CNN's employment of Glenn Beck is the reason I am boycotting both CNN Headline News and the main CNN channel.

Once you are already boycotting or not watching a channel, there is little more that you can do when they make you even angrier. Not that my one man boycott is doing anything anyway, but this latest example of insulting behavior by Beck is just too much. I wrote a message to CNN to register my displeasure, and I told them I would continue to campaign for the removal of Glenn Beck from their payroll.

Below I will include a few links regarding what Beck said that made me so irate:

This link is for the Media Matters' article which includes the video of Beck's show:
CNN's Beck to first-ever Muslim congressman: "[W]hat I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies' "

This link is for another Media Matters article, but this is about The Daily Show's response to Beck plus the video:
Jon Stewart on Beck's remark to Keith Ellison: "Finally, a guy who says what people who aren't thinking are thinking"

And another link for another MMfA article about and video of Countdown with Keith Olbermann's recent segment on Beck:
Olbermann awarded Beck "Worst Person" for saying he "feel[s]" like asking first Muslim congressman to "prove to me that you are not working with our enemies"

The following is the message (not 100% verbatim) that I sent to CNN Headline News:
I was disgusted when I saw Glenn Beck say the following:

"With that being said, you are a Democrat. You are saying, 'Let's cut and run.' And I have to tell you, I have been nervous about this interview with you, because what I feel like saying is, 'Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.'"

Is this really the type of bigotry CNN wishes to promote?

Shame on you CNN for giving this hate-monger a show in the first place. I already stopped watching CNN when Beck was first hired, but I continue to get reports of the racist, unbalanced, and conservatively biased rhetoric from Media Matters for America and the blogs I read.

How much longer will CNN continue to pay for this insensitive bigot? Because that is how long I will assume CNN supports this sort of bigotry. That is how long I will continue to avoid watching CNN or supporting its sponsors. That is how long I will promote to my friends and family that they do the same.

CNN has chosen to give Beck a platform to spew his hatred. Well, after this, I intend to voice my opinion to my family, to my friends, at work, on my blog. It may not be much, but I feel I must do what I can until people like Beck are no longer paid for their prejudice.

There are many upsetting things in Beck's back catalogue, and MMfA has documented a lot of them. If you have some spare time and are looking to be really infuriated, you can do a search for "Beck" on their website. I plan on writing more about Beck in the future, and I plan on continuing to do so until he is no longer employed by CNN.

In closing, here is one more link to a MMfA article and video about Beck's bigotry just because I feel like including one more:
Beck characterized letter criticizing Al Qaeda as "surprising," because "the man who wrote it is a Muslim"

No comments: