Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Patience With Impeachment

I recently started seeing signs saying "IMPEACH", "IMPEACH BUSH", or "THE WAR IN IRAQ IS A LIE" posted randomly around Columbus. I like seeing those signs. I like the idea of impeaching Bush. I like that impeaching Bush will become theoretically possible simply because the Democrats will control Congress in a few weeks, but I think we need to be patient.

I have heard a lot of talk of impeachment or calls for impeachment since the Democrats were projected to control both houses of Congress, and I personally want Bush to be impeached as much as any liberal pro-impeach-Bush person for his illegal warrantless wiretapping, the war in Iraq, and many other things that I have written about previously. In fact my first post on this medium was about impeaching Bush, but slow down, people.

We have a lot of work to do before impeachment will be a viable option, and I do not think that it becoming a viable option is guaranteed.

When the Democrats take control of Congress in January, they will finally have subpoena power and be able to investigate and do oversight. If those powers lead to the discovery of information that will prove Bush's guilt and convince the majority of the public that he should be impeached, then impeachment can occur. However, that process can take a very long time.

I get the feeling that some people want impeachment hearings to begin on the first day of the new Congress (and to be honest, the angry part of me wants that too), but let us be realistic. That would be insane for many logical, legal, and political reasons.

It is okay to hope for, work for, or promote impeachment, but be prepared for disappointment. It is very possible that it will not happen at all, so don't hold your breath.

If it happens and it happens for the right reasons, then we can be satisfied that justice will prevail and prove that no man is above the law. Until then, be patient.

No comments: