Friday, June 08, 2007

Mitt Romney: Liar Or Idiot?

My Mormon mother recently asked me if I would consider voting for the Mormon Mitt Romney for President in 2008.

Let me again reiterate that after eight long and destructive years of George W. Bush there is NO chance that I would even think of considering voting for a Republican in 2008. In fact, after George W. Bush, I may never vote for a Republican for president. Republicans like Nixon, Reagan, and especially George W. Bush have proven to me that Republicans care little for humanity, equality, Christian values, the rule of law, our Constitution, and our country.

But I do not want to get into all that right now. Now, I want to talk about Romney, and why he, in two recent debates, has proven a man like him should never be president. In two short statements, he has cemented my resolve to never vote for him in a million years.

Here is the first one:

Romney: ‘We Ought To Double Guantanamo’
As Crooks and Liars noted , former governor Mitt Romney (R-MA) said tonight that instead of shutting the prison at Guantanamo Bay, “we ought to double Guantanamo,” in part so that detainees “don’t get access to lawyers they get when they’re on our soil.”
ROMNEY: I am glad [detainees] are at Guantanamo. I don’t want them on our soil. I want them on Guantanamo, where they don’t get the access to lawyers they get when they’re on our soil. I don’t want them in our prisons, I want them there. Some people have said we ought to close Guantanamo. My view is we ought to double Guantanamo.

Wow, that's crazy!

I mean it is one thing to support Bush when he is down to a 32% approval rating in the polls, but to come out and be MORE evil than Bush while running for president indicates Romney is either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid.

Romney wants to double that crime against humanity, Guantanamo Bay?! He wants to double that place of evil that is both a symbolic and actual representation of torture, our abuse of human rights, and the degradation of our American values?!

Where are your supposed Christian morals, Romney?!


In my book, wanting to "double Guantanamo" is enough of a dealbreaker, but Romney manages to "double" my disdain for him with this:

Memo to the Media: Mitt Romney doesn’t know “Jack” about Iraq
By: John Amato on Thursday, June 7th, 2007 at 12:15 PM - PDT

CNN: Romney: Well, it’s a setting that’s almost a null set. Which is, if we knew that Saddam Hussein did not have weapons of mass destruction, and if he had complied with the United Nations resolutions to allow IAEA inspectors into his country, we wouldn’t be having this conversation…

This statement by Romney is why I titled this post the way I did, because this statement is blatantly false. Hussein did allow the IAEA inspectors into his country, the IAEA inspectors were in Iraq before the war, and they told us that THERE WERE NO WEAPONS OF MASS DESTRUCTION IN IRAQ! So Romney is either a liar or an idiot, and it enrages me that the MSM is letting this slip by.

The CrooksandLiars.com post above goes on to link to Matthew Yglesias for the information that proves that Romney's statement is false, and I will link to it also:

Null Set Blogging, Part Three
Almost a null set, eh? Brian also notes that this is "evidence that he didn't just screw up his Iraq history at the debates on Tuesday, but rather that he's in a constant state of either denial, ignorance, or deception."

On March 7, 2003 Muhammed ElBarradei of the International Atomic Energy Agency told the world, "After three months of intrusive inspections, we have to date found no evidence or plausible indication of the revival of a nuclear weapons programme in Iraq."

The person who actually ordered the IAEA inspectors to leave Iraq was... (drumroll, please)... George W. Bush! And why did he do that? So that he could begin bombing Iraq.

Does Romney believe Americans have such a bad memory that we would forget all that and believe his inaccurate version of recent history? Well, he may be partially right because the MSM isn't doing its job by rushing to correct him and remove this flagrant deception from the public conversation.

In short, no, I will not be voting for Romney.

I usually take pride in being a Mormon, but deceitful, pro-torture, anti-human rights Mormons like Romney, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT), and professional bigot Glenn Beck make me ashamed of my religion. (Thank goodness for our Mormon Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) who restores some of my lost pride.)

Romney wants to double Guantanamo and lies about Iraq? Hmm. I think we got more than enough of that line of thinking from Bush. We definitely do not need another four years of that from a Bush clone like Romney.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

he is the liar
huckabee is the idiot
McBain is least dislikable