Thursday, January 25, 2007

Wag The Dog

Remember when Clinton launched missiles against Iraq during the Lewinsky scandal, and all the right-wingers cried "Wag the dog!" because, according to their logic, a president cannot walk and chew gum at the same time? So I am sure (but I'm not going to hold my breath) that they will likewise claim that Bush is "wagging the dog" with all these air strikes in Somalia Bush is using to "distract" us from his failures in Iraq and Afghanistan:

U.S. conducts second strike in Somalia: officials
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States launched a second air strike against Islamic extremists in war-torn southern Somalia this week, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

The United States launched an air strike about two weeks ago against what officials then said were al Qaeda operatives.

The target of the second strike was unclear, but some officials indicated it was likely an al Qaeda operative. They would not say which day the strike occurred but it was this week.

On the other hand, Bush usually likes to brag about his military efforts so why are they being so secretive about this.
"We're going to go after al Qaeda and the global war on terror, wherever it takes us," said Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman.

"The very nature of some of our operations are not conducive to public discussions and there will be times when there are activities and operations that I can talk to you about and there will be other times when I just won't have anything for you," he said. "I don't have anything for you on Somalia."

[...]

While speculation has increased that the United States has personnel on the ground in Somalia, U.S. officials have declined to confirm or deny such reports.

I don't trust the Bush administration when they open their mouths, but I trust them even less when their mouths stay closed. I am all for fighting the War on Terror, but the Bush Administration has not been fighting it properly. They have lied to us or been wrong about everything else, so forgive me if I am skeptical about their secretive activities in Somalia. This is something we (this means you, Congress) should hold oversight on.

No comments: